Unethical practices - drug industry

Steven B. Harris sbharris at ix.netcom.com
Tue Sep 12 14:58:50 EST 1995

In <4349d5$u4k at rover.ucs.ualberta.ca> purcell at ee.ualberta.ca (Kurt
James Purcell) writes:

>sbharris at ix.netcom.com (Steven B. Harris ) writes:
>
>>   Could you post the names of drug companies who give briefcases and
>>computers to doctors?  Somehow I've always missed them and got
nothing
>>but the lousy pens.
>
>>                                             Left Out,
>
>>                                             Steve Harris, M.D.
>
>Steve,
>
>Perhaps you are working to hard and not seeing the right sales reps.
Last year
>every pharmacist where I work (abit in Canada) got an Italian Leather
>briefcase from the Claritin sales rep (cute little calculator and
>pen included).  I've got pens and pads of paper coming out of my
>ears (as well as apo-tex socks, novo-pharm cookie jar, benedryl
>sweatshirt, Procotor and Gamble cassette holder case, etc, etc....)
>
>I won't even mention the free pizza every month from the Abbott sales
rep,
>the dinners put on by Glaxo, ........
>
>Michelle
>purcell at datanet.ab.ca (as of Sept 14/95)
>--
>purcell at nyquist.ee.ualberta.ca
>University of Alberta,
>Edmonton, Alberta.

   Maybe they give better stuff to pharmacists than just the front line
docs.  Or maybe it is a Canadian thing.   I have gotten my share of
free pizza lunches.  I felt it my obligation to prescribe many an
expensive and dangerous drug for no particular reason afterwards, too,
or at least until I got hungry again.  A Benedryl sweatshirt, eh?  What
color?  Does it have a dry-mouthed allegator on the tit, asleep?

                                             Steve Harris, M.D.