A mailling list on context

Brezillon Patrick brezil at laforia.ibp.fr
Fri Sep 15 03:42:15 EST 1995

     CALL FOR CREATION OF A MAILING LIST ON
              THE NOTION OF CONTEXT

   The notion of context appears as a promising
   challenge in a number of scientific  domains
   (e.g. , Artificial Intelligence), when it is
   a  crucial  acknowledged  problem  in others
   (e.g., Natural  Language  Processing).  Only
   during  the year 1995 ,  several  scientific
   events (workshops  and symposia)  focused on
   context in the domain of Artificial Intelli-
   gence.

   Now is the right time  to have a real inter-
   disciplinary forum where researchers,  whose
   work  is concerned  with the study  and  the
   modelling of the context ,  may provide  and
   receive a support for their problems,present
   their experiences, exchange  information and
   pointers, etc.

   The access at the  mailing list is opened to
   persons wishing really to participate. A fee
   is required: about 20 lines to present:
   1. The domain in which you work and your
      scientific activities
   2. How context intervenes in your problem,
   3. Which questions you wish to ask.

   Please, note that:

   (1) Subscription and specific questions must
       be sent to:
       Patrick Brezillon (brezil at laforia.ibp.fr)

   (2) Use the subject of your mails to make the
       topic of the mail precise,

   (3) A FAQ for new participants would be main-
       tained regularly.

   Discussion will be by e-mail only  by sending
   general mail at:
       context at laforia.ibp.fr

   Example:

   I  work  in  Artificial  Intelligence  and my
   research concerns  the design and development
   of  Intelligent Cooperative Systems  for  the
   global objective,  and  more  specifically on
   the relationships between cooperation, expla-
   nation and context.I have participated in the
   organization of two  workshops on  context at
   IJCAI in 1993 (France) and 1995 (Canada), and
   consider  context as the  key factor  for the
   improvement of  cooperation,  the explanation
   generation and the  incremental knowledge ac-
   quisition.

   The context that I consider is the context of
   the interaction between a human and a machine.
   My goal is to make  context explicit to model
   it and improve the  human-machine interaction
   and  also  human-human interaction  through a
   machine.

   Modelling context implies to address questions
   as:  Is  context  knowledge or a mechanism to
   tackle knowledge?  How to  exploit context to
   improve the acquisition, representation, rea-
   soning about,and the explanation of knowledge?
   In cooperative systems,how context can improve
   the cooperation between a human and a machine
   in problem solving?

                                         Patrick

   Your turn now.