pleasure center immunomodulation

TODD D. GOULD tgould at FALCON.LHUP.EDU
Fri Sep 15 10:56:59 EST 1995

I am currently involved in a study as an undergraduate concerning the
immunomodulating effects of pleasure center stimulation.  I am familiar
with studies showing increased antibody response to antigen when rats
were allowed to electrically self stimulate or were
electrically stimulated in various pleasure centers.  I am not;however,
familar with studies showing increased antibody response when pleasure
centers were chemically stimulated.  We have set up a procedure which
would use miniosmotic pumps to continually pump dopamine into the brain
of rats.  I have run across a few questions which I hope can be
answered on this post.

1. Is anyone familiar with similar research?
2. We intend to insert the cannula into the nucleus accumbens- are there
any preferred stereotaxic coordinates?
3. We intend to run the pumps for 3 weeks at a rate of .25 micro L /hr.-
are there any suggested dopamine concentrations- my only references on
this are Costall et al. in which locomotor response was studied.
4. How likely is dopamine to cross the blood/brain barrier?... and effect
peripheral immune responses?
5. Would dopamine/CSF- 0.1% sodium metabisulphite aliquots be stable
frozen over a long period?

Thanks in advance,
Todd

- Todd D. Gould                               e-mail: tgould at falcon.lhup.edu -
- student, Lock Haven University                tel : (717) 748-0933         -
- Lock Haven, PA 17745                                                       -
-                                     correspondence: 500 West Church street -
-                                                     Apartment 125          -
-                                                     Lock Haven, PA 17745   -

"What is mind?"
"No matter."
"What is matter?"
"Never mind."