novel receptor probes

FaunaLtd faunaltd at aol.com
Sat Sep 16 00:58:07 EST 1995

Numerous toxins have been discovered from spider venoms, often with unique
selectivities and modes of action.  Omega-aga-IVa, a remarkably selective
calcium channel from a funnel web spider, is only one example of the
potential for these venoms.

As professional arachnologists, we are promoting the use of spider venoms
in basic and pharmaceutical research.  As a first step, we are trying to
determine where toxins from spider venom will have the greatest utility
and impact.  We are gathering information about receptors and channels
which may be targeted by spider venoms and for which, there is a need for
better or more selective agonists or antagonists.

For example, there may be need for increased selectivity (possibly to
distinguish various subtypes) or perhaps some improvement in binding or a
different modes of action.

Once we have identified key targets, we attempt to promote our venoms to
those who have the capability to evaluate the venoms against their
targets.

We would appreciate any suggestions which readers may have.

Andrey Feodorov
Fauna Ltd.
Institute of Zoology
Academy of Science of the Republic of Kazakhstan
Academgorodok
Almaty  480032
Republic of Kazakhstan
FaunaLtd at aol.com