3-0 surgical steel wire

Richard Kerr kerrr at CRYPTIC.RCH.UNIMELB.EDU.AU
Wed Sep 20 02:23:20 EST 1995

>jomartin at crab.rutgers.edu (Joseph V. Martin) writes:
>>Does anyone know where I can get 3-0 surgical steel wire?

Didier wrote>
>What would you use steel in a surgery for? Are you sure you don't mean
>platinum wire, which is more commonly used for non-contaminating loops?
>(and can be purchased from Fisher Sci, too)

may for microsurgery or microdissection. I use tungsten wire (0.5 or 0.25
mm diameter) mounted in a regular needle holder for the microdissection of
embryonic day 2.5 - 3.5 chick neural tube, somites & notochords. It's the
best stuff I've found for really fine work & you can sterilize it after you
sharpen it electrolytically  (no grindstone for me Haha). Any good for your
work Joseph?

cheers
Richard

Richard Kerr
The Murdoch Institute
Flemington Road
Parkville 3052 Victoria AUSTRALIA
PH:          (61 3) 9345 5045
FAX:        (61 3) 9348 1391
email:       kerrr at cryptic.rch.unimelb.edu.au
"These opinions are my own, although my cat shares some of them."