Edelman verification

Ron Blue rcb1 at LEX.LCCC.EDU
Thu Sep 21 07:39:56 EST 1995

On Wed, 20 Sep 1995, Alan J. Robinson wrote:
> I was wondering if any INDEPENDENT neuroscience researchers or
> research organizations are trying to replicate or test Edelman's
> computational model of the brain (Neural Darwinism).
>
> The most recent presentation of the work of the Edelman group is in
> Olfa Sporn and Guilio Tononi eds. "Selectionism and the Brain".
> International Review of Neurobiology Vol 37.  Academic Press 1994.
> This volume also includes quite a lot of material from researchers at
> other major institutions, so I know people are finally starting to
> take notice.
>
>                             Alan J. Robinson
> Golden Hind International - Computer Graphics, Artificial Intelligence
>                        robin073 at maroon.tc.umn.edu

The following may relate to your interest.

   The following is available by FTP:
   Note: this is Unix system which is case sensitive.

   ftp.tmn.com
   login: anonymous
   password: (your email address)
   cd Chaos-Complexity
   ls
   get BlueBlue-OpponentProcessing.txt
   bye

Abstract:

The correlational opponent-processing theory is a neuro homeostasis
integration psychological immune theory that would connect phenomena
such as sensation, perception, movement, habituation, memory,
representations, learning, cognition, personality, psychopathology,
paradoxical integration, emotion, and evolution of the mind under a
unified theory.

Perception/learning/cognition may be viewed as an effort to assimilate
and accommodate all experience into neuro-energy-efficient
eigenfunction equivalence or quasi-holographic correlational opponent-
processing recordings.

Stimuli causes brain wave modulations which interact with carrier or
reference wavelets.  This interaction creates a quasi-holographic
stimulus wavelet.  The opponent-process creates an opposing quasi-
holographic memory wavelet.  Through this process the correlations or
associations of experience are encoded to memory.  Every wavelet,
regardless of source or type, triggers an opposing wavelet.  The
function of the opposing wavelet or feedback is to diminish the
intensity of neural processing.  A wavelet potential is stored or hard
wired as long-term potentiation opponent-processes in nerve cells and
the interconnections between nerve cells.  The wavelets are quasi-
holographic and allow recovery of information due to the interaction of
reference carrier wavelets and stimuli, thought, motor movement, and
emotional arousal.

Outline:
       Discussion
       Neuro Net
       Quasi-holographic wavelets
       Habituation/immunization
       Memory
       Representations, copies or models
       Learning/Cognition
       Personality
       Sensations and Perceptions
       Movement
       Emotion
       Evolution
       Tools
       Implications
       Conclusion and applications from COP theory
            Discorrelation
            Education
            Biophysical
            Intelligence