latest from parkinsons syndrome

Renton Braid-Smith 127rent at chiron.wits.ac.za
Fri Sep 22 07:02:07 EST 1995

Hi all,

It is well known that Parkinsons syndrome is caused by the absence of
Dopamine secretion from the Substantia Nigra. My area of interest is to see
whether or not the grafting of dopaminergic neurons into the brain would be
advantageous.

Serum injections of dopamine have a minor effect on the syndrome, as some
research has shown. More recently, however, there has been
investigations transplanting various dopaminergic tissues into
the brain of parkinsonian animals. The results have shown that it is an
erstwhile area of research. My question would be (preferably in the context
of physiology and anatomy) whether the mode of treatment (tissue grafts,
injections or dose dependent pellets) or the localisation of treatment could
or would play a role in the treatment of this very common disease.

Thanks for your input,
Renton.