question- field potential & population spike

Bill Skaggs bill at nsma.arizona.edu
Sun Sep 24 12:44:01 EST 1995

hdvorak at cns.caltech.edu (Hannah Dvorak) wrote:
   :And, as you surely know, just this has been done by McNaughton and
   :Wilson, who showed increases in correlated firing between place cells
   :during maze running and again while the rats were sleeping after
   :running the maze, and presumably "replaying" the memory of the maze
   :in their sleep.  However, to the best of my knowledge it has not been
   :shown that such a change in firing patterns is directly due to LTP.
   :It's probably a more complicated network property (which, in my
   :opinion, does make it more interesting).

mglinws at aol.com (Mark Laubach) wrote:
   > The paper by McNaughton and Wilson was a wonderful demonstration
   > of recent developments in many neuron recording.  However, I am
   > not sure that the McNaughton and Wilson article "proved" anything,
   > other than showing that neurons are capable of firing in a
   > correlated fashion during multiple behavioral states.

To clarify this, there have been two recent papers in Science by
Matt Wilson and Bruce McNaughton.

The first ("Dynamics of the hippocampal ensemble code for space",
Science 261:1055-1058, 1993) showed that it is possible to reconstruct
a rat's position on the basis of the activity of multiple
simultaneously recorded hippocampal cells, and examined the
development of the population code when a rat is placed in an
environment it has never experienced before.

The second ("Reactivation of hippocampal ensemble memories during
sleep", Science 265:676-679, 1994) showed that pairs of cells with
overlapping place fields in an environment show amplified correlations
during slow wave sleep following a session in the environment, but not
during sleep preceding the session.  This gives pretty strong
evidence, but not absolute proof, that information about the structure
of the environment is stored in the hippocampus or elsewhere in the
brain; the simplest way of accounting for the data is to postulate
that the information is stored in synapses inside the hippocampus.

	-- Bill