temporal memory

Christopher T. Lovelace CL1779A at american.edu
Tue Sep 26 07:45:56 EST 1995

That's an interesting story.

I've heard that it's also possible for someone, in adulthood, to make up (or
alter) a story and then retell it so many times that it appears to the
originator as though it really happened (they forget that it is a
fabrication).  It's like that 20-pound Blue I caught off Cape Hatteras
last year. . . :-)

I imagine that the memory of the fabricated story is stored right along with
all of the memories of actual events--and with the memory that the story
is, in fact, a fabrication.  Eventually, after the story is retold many
times, the memory for the story is strengthened and the memory that the
story is a fabrication fades, so that the story begins to be
recalled as an actual event.

Chris Lovelace         cl1779a at american.edu