temporal memory

Ron Blue rcb1 at LEX.LCCC.EDU
Tue Sep 26 10:03:21 EST 1995

On Tue, 26 Sep 1995, Christopher T. Lovelace wrote:
> That's an interesting story.
>
> I've heard that it's also possible for someone, in adulthood, to make up (or
> alter) a story and then retell it so many times that it appears to the
> originator as though it really happened (they forget that it is a
> fabrication).  It's like that 20-pound Blue I caught off Cape Hatteras
> last year. . . :-)
>
> I imagine that the memory of the fabricated story is stored right along with
> all of the memories of actual events--and with the memory that the story
> is, in fact, a fabrication.  Eventually, after the story is retold many
> times, the memory for the story is strengthened and the memory that the
> story is a fabrication fades, so that the story begins to be
> recalled as an actual event.
Since these are common experiences then this suggest HOW the brain
is processing information.  For example, you are driving down the
road and see a beautiful woman.  You get closer and find out is a
ulgy man.  Notice that the "idea" is stronger than reality.

Stimuli are organized by "pure" types that are raised to awareness
during the perceptual process.  The pure types may not actually
exist.

Ron Blue