latest from parkinsons syndrome

XU,CHUN,MR BFYF000 at MUSICB.MCGILL.CA
Tue Sep 26 02:16:25 EST 1995

In article <127rent.20 at chiron.wits.ac.za> 127rent at chiron.wits.ac.za (Renton Braid-Smith) writes:
>Hi all,
>
>It is well known that Parkinsons syndrome is caused by the absence of
>Dopamine secretion from the Substantia Nigra. My area of interest is to see
>whether or not the grafting of dopaminergic neurons into the brain would be
>advantageous.
>
>Serum injections of dopamine have a minor effect on the syndrome, as some
>research has shown. More recently, however, there has been
>investigations transplanting various dopaminergic tissues into
>the brain of parkinsonian animals. The results have shown that it is an
>erstwhile area of research. My question would be (preferably in the context
>of physiology and anatomy) whether the mode of treatment (tissue grafts,
>injections or dose dependent pellets) or the localisation of treatment could
>or would play a role in the treatment of this very common disease.
>
>Thanks for your input,
>Renton.
>.
Hi Renton;
The etiolgy & pathogenesis of PD is still unknown, certainly, the
problem in Substantia Nigra is not the only, nor primary event. I
think supplying pts with dopamine by any way(serum, transplant) can
only reduce certian symptoms for certain pts and for certian period
of time.
     It seems that adrenal or fetal tissue transplant has many problems
medically, pratically, ethically. Recently, genetically enginerred
fibroblast and muscle cells seems to be a promising graft, still, I
would not say it will be good for many pts for a long period of time.
no matter how well these grafts integrate in pts brian physiologically
or anatomically.
Chun