temporal memory

Christopher T. Lovelace CL1779A at american.edu
Wed Sep 27 09:03:04 EST 1995

In article <Pine.3.89.9509261025.B10994-0100000 at lex.lccc.edu>
rcb1 at LEX.LCCC.EDU (Ron Blue) writes:

>On Tue, 26 Sep 1995, Christopher T. Lovelace wrote:
>> That's an interesting story.
>>
>> I've heard that it's also possible for someone, in adulthood, to make up (or
>> alter) a story and then retell it so many times that it appears to the
>> originator as though it really happened (they forget that it is a
>> fabrication).  It's like that 20-pound Blue I caught off Cape Hatteras
>> last year. . . :-)
>>
>> I imagine that the memory of the fabricated story is stored right along with
>> all of the memories of actual events--and with the memory that the story
>> is, in fact, a fabrication.  Eventually, after the story is retold many
>> times, the memory for the story is strengthened and the memory that the
>> story is a fabrication fades, so that the story begins to be
>> recalled as an actual event.
>Since these are common experiences then this suggest HOW the brain
>is processing information.  For example, you are driving down the
>road and see a beautiful woman.  You get closer and find out is a
>ulgy man.  Notice that the "idea" is stronger than reality.

The brain's main function is to take in information and organize it.  If the
first, distant, perception of the person in this example suggests a woman
(slender, long hair, etc.), then that percept is categorized as "woman".
However, if, upon closer inspection, more information is added (i.e., a
beard), then the percept can  be reclassified ("man").

So, when the observer only had a little information, the "idea" that the
person they were observing was a woman was just a misperception of
reality (not until more information was gathered was "reality" revealed).

>Stimuli are organized by "pure" types that are raised to awareness
>during the perceptual process.  The pure types may not actually
>exist.
Hmmm.  Been reading Plato, have you? :-)

Chris Lovelace            cl1779a at american.edu