Muscular hypertrophy

OOOTTAFAGV ooottafagv at aol.com
Fri Sep 29 17:09:32 EST 1995

For years I taught that muscular hypertrophy in response to exercise
results from an increase in the size of muscle fibers and not an increase
in the total number of cells (since they can't undergo mitosis).  Then
several years ago, I began to see reports that it was possible that muscle
cells can split lengthwise in response to (especially weight bearing)
exercise.  Has the research carried it any farther than just a possibility
?  Any responses are welcome; references on the subject too.

Thanks in advance

LayneVB
Layne in St. Louis