anti-mitotic agent in CNS?

Jody K. Hirsh jkh141 at nwu.edu
Thu Sep 28 10:38:07 EST 1995

In article <DFH2r4.8p8 at psych.toronto.edu>, scott at psych.toronto.edu
says...

>Hello,
>
>can anyone suggest an agent which can selectively halt mitosis in neural
>precursor (stem cells) in vivo, leaving differentiated neurons ok?
>Temporarily or permanently; both are fine.  I hope there exists such a
>beast, which will have few side effects.  Thanks.
>
>Brian

When culturing neurons, it is common to use anti-mitotic agents to remove
the glia and fibroblasts.  I would guess this would work in your situation as
well.
Typically,  ARA-C (ctyosine arabinoside) and 5-FU (5-fluorouracil) are used.
 See if you can find the text on culturing neurons edited by Banker.

Jody K. Hirsh
Northwestern University, Chicago, IL.   USA
jkh141 at nwu.edu