temporal memory

Stephan Verbeeck Stephan.Verbeeck at ping1.ping.be
Sat Sep 30 15:59:43 EST 1995

CL1779A at american.edu (Christopher T. Lovelace) wrote:

>That's an interesting story.
>
>I've heard that it's also possible for someone, in adulthood, to make up (or
>alter) a story and then retell it so many times that it appears to the
>originator as though it really happened (they forget that it is a
>fabrication).  It's like that 20-pound Blue I caught off Cape Hatteras
>last year. . . :-)
>
>I imagine that the memory of the fabricated story is stored right along with
>all of the memories of actual events--and with the memory that the story
>is, in fact, a fabrication.  Eventually, after the story is retold many
>times, the memory for the story is strengthened and the memory that the
>story is a fabrication fades, so that the story begins to be
>recalled as an actual event.

Yes that can happen very easy.  Learning is never turned of so if you remember
something then that something will become connected with what you are thinking
at that moment so that some parts of the memory may be altered by it.  At a
later date the information of that alteration is lost unless enough extra
connections were put in to connect it with the how and why of the change (here
the complete thought of the earlier remembering).  So all memory is a living
thing, changing each time it is used.

    EMAIL TO: Stephan.Verbeeck at ping.be     ---------------------
    ADDRESS : Helderbeekstraat      41      Life is but a dream
              3582   Koersel (Belgium)     ---------------------
    TEL     : 011/42.16.46