Student needs help with definition.

blueone at pacificnet.net blueone at pacificnet.net
Tue Apr 2 17:35:02 EST 1996

I am a student doing a paper on sexual dimorphism in the human brain.
I was wondering if someone can help me.

In 2 articales I read I found references to what seem to be the same
area of the brain, with 2 different names.

1. Allen and Gorski found that the anterior commissure, a bundle of
fibers running across the midline of the brain, is the smallest in
heterosexual men, larger in women and in gay men comparible in size.

2.The corpus callosum, which is made up of fibers known as axons, is
long, narrow structure that connects and transmits information between
the brain's right and left hemispheres.  De Lacoste-Utam and Hollway
found that the shape of a portion of the corpus callosum called the
splenium being larger in woman then in men that impartial observers
were able to differentiate between the brains of women and men.

What I am simply asking is if these 2 areas describe are the same
area? If not what is the difference?

Thanks
Blue