pain

Chris Heapy Chris.heapy at gbapr.zeneca.com
Tue Apr 2 18:45:52 EST 1996

>What are the prospects for being able to point to pain in a brain and
>state its intensity?  If someone says "a dog doesn't feel a kick the
>way a child would," what does one reply?

Presumably you mean within the sensory cortex? So many other
factors influence the way pain is interpreted at higher centres
(factors such as mood, physical activity etc.,) that measurable
neuronal activity at any particular point becomes a poor measure of
perception. Perhaps the best way of measuring pain perception at
higher levels is to assess behaviour - to what extent the subject will
go to avoid suffering the pain. Seems to me both child and dog would
strongly avoid getting kicked if at all possible!

Chris