Student needs help with definition.

Pflieger Jean-Francois pfliegej at ERE.UMontreal.CA
Wed Apr 3 14:11:30 EST 1996

rubinsnk at is2.nyu.edu (Kalman Rubinson) writes:

>blueone at pacificnet.net wrote:
>: 1. Allen and Gorski found that the anterior commissure,....
>:
>: 2......a portion of the corpus callosum called the splenium...
>:
>: What I am simply asking is if these 2 areas describe are the same
>: area? If not what is the difference?

>Quite different although both are commissures.  The anterior commissure
>is, as it's name says, anterior in the forebrain.  It lies in the
>anterior wall of the third ventricle.  The splenium is the most posterior
>portion of the corpus callosum.

Physiologically too, they're very different. The anterior commissure
mediates principally archi- and paleo- -cortical informations (mostly
concerning olfactory cues, but also more complexe informations). The
splenium of the corpus callosum "interhemispherically" join the
neocortical areas from the posterior frontal lobe, the parietal lobe and
parts of the temporal lobe.

>Of course, you could have found this out from any neuroanatomy book or
>atlas but, with the internet, who reads books?

>Kal

Sound just like: "with the internet, who want to make the effort to
search by himself, even the simpliest information." :) :( :) :(

			Jean-Francois

--
Jean-Francois Pflieger		      "DINANZI A ME NON FUR COSE CREATE,
Universite de Montreal		       SE NON ETERNE ED IO ETERNA DURO: