Student needs help with definition.

Bill Skaggs bill at nsma.arizona.edu
Tue Apr 2 20:38:55 EST 1996

blueone at pacificnet.net writes:

   > 1. Allen and Gorski found that the anterior commissure . . .

   > 2. The corpus callosum . . .

   > What I am simply asking is if these 2 areas described are the same
   > area? If not what is the difference?

No.  Both of them are bundles of axons that cross the midline, but
they are distinct.  The corpus callosum is much larger, and as far as
I know all of the axons running through it come from the neocortex.
The anterior commissure contains a few cortical axons, but also axons
from the hippocampus and I believe other areas.  Check any human
neuroanatomy textbook for details.

	-- Bill