Student needs help with definition.

Paul Bush paul at phy.ucsf.edu
Wed Apr 3 15:19:43 EST 1996

In article <4jsaj1$941 at news2.cais.com>, blueone at pacificnet.net writes:

|> 1. Allen and Gorski found that the anterior commissure, a bundle of
|> fibers running across the midline of the brain, is the smallest in
|> heterosexual men, larger in women and in gay men comparible in size.
|>
|> 2.The corpus callosum, which is made up of fibers known as axons, is
|> long, narrow structure that connects and transmits information between
|> the brain's right and left hemispheres.  De Lacoste-Utam and Hollway
|> found that the shape of a portion of the corpus callosum called the
|> splenium being larger in woman then in men that impartial observers
|> were able to differentiate between the brains of women and men.
|>
|> What I am simply asking is if these 2 areas describe are the same
|> area? If not what is the difference?

Anatomically they are different structures. The anterior commissure is located
just rostral to the fornix and connects the two olfactory bulbs. The splenium,
as you said, is a part of the corpus callosum, connecting the two occipital
cortices. However, both structures connect the two temporal cortices together, so
maybe this common feature explains why they are both sexually dymorphic. (Aren't
women supposed to be better at languages, a temporal lobe function?)

Paul