electromagnetic/brain waves

John Edstrom edstrom at slugo.hmsc.orst.edu
Thu Apr 4 12:24:50 EST 1996

In article <4jua1h$jj9 at newsbf02.news.aol.com>,
	zamanlf at aol.com (Zamanlf) writes:

>John,

>	The same is true of consciousness. The breakthrough in discovering
>the mechanism which produces consciousness simply will not be made by
>anyone who insists that he or she first be given a faultless definition of
>consciousness.

I never said "faultless."  I said "usefull, rational and objective."  I can't
see any serious scientist trying to explain consciousness, or any other
phenomenon, unless there is a way to tell if any arbitrarily selected object
exhibits that phenomenon at any particular time.  If there is no plausible
definition of consciuosness that uniquely ties it animals with "brain waves"
then there is no reason to suppose that a relation between the two is worth
the time, money and effort of investigating.

>Fred

john

---
 John Edstrom | edstrom @ slugo.hmsc.orst.edu

 http://www.hmsc.orst.edu/~edstrom
 "Lurker" at BioMOO (bioinfo.weizmann.ac.il:8888)

 Hatfield Marine Science Center
 2030 S. Marine Science Drive
 Newport, Oregon     97365-5296
 wk: (541) 867 0197