reproducible research in the neurosciences

Bill Skaggs bill at nsma.arizona.edu
Wed Apr 3 21:54:18 EST 1996

laubach at biogfx.neuro.wfu.edu (Mark Laubach) writes:

   >	   I am very much interested in the idea of electronic
   > publishing, not only of papers but also of the data sets upon
   > which the papers are based and of the code for the analysis of
   > the data.  . . .

There's a lot that could be said about this, and I don't have time to
say it, but here I think is the bottom line.  Setting up a data
archive in a publically usable form is a hell of a lot of work, and
the risks involved are not negligible.  (For example, what happens
when some bozo misuses your data to draw obviously incorrect
conclusions?  Do you ignore it, and possibly become associated with
the error, or do you waste time and make enemies fighting it?)  Given
the costs and risks, I doubt it will happen on a meaningful scale
unless it's possible to get substantial grant support for contributing
to such an archive.  As far as I know, there isn't currently any
funding available for anything like this -- but I would be delighted
to be proven wrong.  It would certainly be beneficial to neuroscience
as a whole if such a thing were available.

	-- Bill