electromagnetic/brain waves

Zamanlf zamanlf at aol.com
Fri Apr 5 00:40:40 EST 1996

	I am familiar with the research John cites. This is not the field
of inquiry I am talking about, however. The field of inquiry I am refering
to concerns the question of whether the extracellular E field of a large
neuronal population can have an experimentally measurable curl (the
field’s transverse space derivative).  Present models, such as those found
in Electric Fields of the Brain by P. Nunez, indicate that this field
cannot have curl, because (1) such fields are known to terminate on
quasi-static charges which makes them electrostatic fields that can have
no curl, and (2) the inductance of biological tissue, as indicated in the
studies you cited, is so minute that the E field induced by time-changing
magnetic fields is insignificant.
	I am speaking about large-scale multicellular fields, however, and
how the intracortical MEG and EEG of very large neuronal populations might
be related in electrodynamic terms. The induction process that would be
involved here, if it exists, involves the flow of multiunit spike activity
shown by Verzeano. The unexplored subject that I am speaking of, then, is
the subject of the flow of multiunit spike activity, and how it might
possibly be related to the intracortical EEG and MEG in terms of
electromagnetic induction. The studies that are pertinent to this subject,
of course, are the studies of Verzeano and his associates. The subject I
am speaking of then is the continuation and extension of Verzeano’s work
from the perspective of electromagnetic induction. This indeed is an
unexplored subject.

Fred Zaman