electromagnetic/brain waves

John Edstrom edstrom at slugo.hmsc.orst.edu
Thu Apr 4 13:06:41 EST 1996

In article <4jua0u$jj7 at newsbf02.news.aol.com>,
	zamanlf at aol.com (Zamanlf) writes:
>Dear Kevin,

>	Electrophysiologists, in their experimental studies, have
>concluded that there is no induction in electrophysiological fields. This
>conclusion is based on studies of the induction of externally-generated or
>exogenous fields, however. That is not the real issue, as I see it. The
>real issue is whether the spatiotemporal relations of the
>internally-generated or endogenous fields can be explained in terms of
>induction.

How are they different?  Are you saying that there is a qualitative difference
between endogenously generated fields and externally applied fields so that a
neuron will respond differently to the two?  If a neuron is to be influenced
by a field at all then it will respond in the same way regardless of whether
the field comes from a platinum electrode or another neuron (both are external
to the neuron of interest) unless there is some difference in the "nature" of
the field from the two sources.

>            That is where I am coming from, and the existing
>electrophysiological studies shed no light on this very important issue.

I think they do.  Remember, this is one of the oldest branches of
neuroscience.  Galvani's initial report of bioelectricity was published in
1793 and electrical stimulation of nerve and muscle has been an important part
of experimental biology since the early 1800s.  Curtis and Cole were measuring
the inductance of excitable tissue back in the 1930s.  The theory of how
imposed voltage gradients affect active membranes was worked out in great
detail during the 1940s-1960s.  If you take the known values of the membrane
impedance/admitance and reactance/susceptance and the known biological field
strengths then there is no rational reason to presume that a neruon would be
influenced by ambient fields.  It is simply inacurate to say that this field
of inquiry has been ignored.  It is not an unexplored subject.

>Sincerely, Fred Zaman

---
 John Edstrom | edstrom @ slugo.hmsc.orst.edu

 http://www.hmsc.orst.edu/~edstrom
 "Lurker" at BioMOO (bioinfo.weizmann.ac.il:8888)

 Hatfield Marine Science Center
 2030 S. Marine Science Drive
 Newport, Oregon     97365-5296
 wk: (541) 867 0197