electromagnetic/brain waves

G K GRAY gord at homostudy.win_uk.net
Sun Apr 7 06:06:10 EST 1996

reply to; gord at homostudy.win-uk.net

The emotional content of this exchange is apparent but little else
is. Could we look for regular structures, analogous to crystals, in
the nervous system (CNS and LNS)that *might* just qualify as
receivers/transmitters of electro-magnetic radiation, and from
there go on to developing suitable experimental procedures that
could lead to Popper's falsification tests?  I would suggest the
myelinated structures - those developed from oligodendrocytes
and/or Schwann cells as suitable candidates. Those which include
axons transmitting in opposite  directions e.g. lateral inhibition
or discrepancy detection circuits would not be suitable for
obvious reasons.

        There is probably some incorrect teaching involved in this
dispute, e.g. in the second edition of "From Neuron to Brain" by
Kuffler, Nicholls and Martin,; Sinauer 1984, we find this gem from
the old "Telephone system" paradigm - " - myelin - - a
high-resistance covering akin to the insulating material around
wires." (p331)
        This conflicts with the drawings and electron-micrographs in
the same edition which show very clearly that in cross-section the
sheath is *not* a mere layer of insulation, but is constructed
*exactly* like a wound-foil capacitor still used in electronic
circuits, save that the axon lies at the centre of the spiral
winding. Moreover, careful examination of the electro-chemical
properties of the lipids in all cell membranes shows that the thin
film of water (containing Sodium and Calcium ions) between axon and
sheath forms one electrode of the capacitor, and a corresponding
film which is entirely within the glial cell, forms the other
electrode of the capacitor.