Question - controlling computer using brain waves?

John Reynolds reynolds at cns.bu.edu
Sun Apr 7 22:42:53 EST 1996

This may sound strange, but I would like to know if people take
seriously research on the use of "brain waves" (EEG, I suppose) to
control, e.g., a cursor on a computer screen.  I have seen a couple of
news items on Andrew Junker's work in this area.  They were very brief
and flashy, and I don't know how serious this stuff is.  For example,
do people in this area do control experiments to verify that what they
are measuring isn't simply the result of scalp muscle contraction?

I would appreciate any insights you would care to offer about the
validity of this research, or about research into the concious control
of EEG generally.

Thank you,
John Reynolds, PhD