Prions? CJD/BSE Connection...

Jeff Bernhard jeffb at amber
Mon Apr 8 11:01:56 EST 1996

Shaun D. Carstairs (shaunc at wrote:
: >  The likelihood of getting CJD from bovine prions, BTW, is
: >also highly unlikely because of the significant sequence
: >differences between the human and bovine forms (see Prosiner's
: >work).
: Again, not true.  Reference William N. Kelley's _Textbook of Internal
: Medicine_ (2nd edition), "Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease," p. 2219:
: "Transmission can be effected by oral or parenteral inoculation but is
: most efficient by intracerebral routes.  The incubation period is dependent
: on the dose and route of inoculation and host genetics and may theoretically
: exceed the life-span of the host."
: As you stated, the prions will _most likely_ not be absorbed from the
: small intestine.  However, on rare occasions this is not the case:
: macromolecular pinocytosis, while rare beyond the neonatal period, can
: occasionally occur, as can direct molecular entry into the bloodstream
: through small ulcerations in the intestinal mucosa.  Thus oral transmission
: of CJD, while rare, is possible.

Okay, I'm not in the field (though brain science has always been of
interest to me), but can anyone give me the history of CJD: Who identified
it, how (case histories) it was first identified, and so on? I realize
this group is largely composed of knowledgible folks who may take offense
as my use and request of the bandwith here, but I'd be very appreciative.
     Jeffrey Bernhard			    Harris Computer Systems Corp.
Jeff.Bernhard at       Voice: (954) 973-5496     Fax: (954) 977-5580
***   The opinions expressed herein are mine, not those of my employer!   ***