Avonex info wanted... useful in post stroke syndromes?

Vincent Mazzarella ac576 at lafn.org
Mon Apr 8 23:27:10 EST 1996

I have heard recently about Avonex, which I am told is being used
to slow the progression of multiple sclerosis by "increasing the
speed of neuronal transmission."

Does anyone have any more specific information about the mechanism of
action of this drug?

Also, the question has been posed to me whether this drug might be
useful in post-stroke recovery, perhaps by speeding dendritic regrowth
in watershed areas of stroke.

I am completely unfamiliar with this drug and also have not kept up on the
neuroscience literature lately with this drug and would appreciate any
information that could be supplied.

Please respond by e-mail. Thank you.

Vincent Mazzarella, MD
e-mail: ac576 at lafn.org