Maesurement of Neurotransmitter

StefanHi stefanhi at aol.com
Wed Apr 10 09:43:15 EST 1996

In an article called >>Neurobiologie of Cocain addiction<< by Luigi
Pulvirenti and George F. Koob in "Spektrum der Wissenschaft (2/1996)"
which is the german version of "Scientific American" I read about the
measurement of Neurotransmitter, here: Dopamin, in the nucleus accumbens
in rats. The authors used a method that allowed the measurement in the
living animal ("living brain"). They implanted a syringe with a dialytic
membrane with a constant flow of ringer. The Substances (i.e.
Neurotransmitter) passed the Membrane, following the concentration
difference, into the syringe and could be measured. That's what the text
said.

My question:
Can anyone explain me exactly (!) how the method works ? I'm thinking
about something like "Material and Methods" to work with this method. The
theory seems to be clear, but what do I need to work with this method and
how I can maesure the Transmitter ?

Thank you for your supply
StefanHi at aol.com (If you want you can send your e-mail directly to this
adress)