reproducible research in the neurosciences

Richard Vickery Richard.Vickery at unsw.edu.au
Tue Apr 9 06:16:12 EST 1996

   laubach at biogfx.neuro.wfu.edu (Mark Laubach) wrote:
>        I am very much interested in the idea of electronic
>publishing, not only of papers but also of the data sets upon which
>the papers are based and of the code for the analysis of the data.

Although this is a good idea in principle, I think that in practice it will be
very difficult.  Reanalyzing another person's experiment is (in my experience)
a nightmare.  Reanalyzing without access to log books and other 'background'
info would be virtually impossible.

I think it would be possible to make semi-analyzed data sets available for
neural modellers who want real data to crunch.  New analysis techniques and
programs, if adequately documented, could also be useful.  However, I don't
think we'll ever be able to just go and check through another person's data -
the large amount of effort required at both ends would mean that this would
almost never be done routinely.

Richard Vickery                \ /     Our quest is for Meaning,
Physiology & Pharmacology     (oVo)    but the meaning is The Quest.
UNSW, Australia               )   (
ph. 61 2 3852555               ^ ^     Life's a Hoot!