2 deoxy-d-glucose

Christie cjmcma00 at ukcc.uky.edu
Thu Apr 11 11:48:59 EST 1996

I was wondering if anyone could tell me and give me a
reference for how and where the glucose antagonist 2
deoxy-d-glucose works to inhibit glucose
utilization /glycolysis?  All of the articles I have read
so far just say it inhibits glucose metabolism.  I have
heard two explanations:
1) It inhibits the glucose receptor, therefore blocking
glucose utilization so its effects may be blocked with
glucose or dextrose or allowing animals (hamsters, etc.) to
eat ad lib.
2) It inhibits one of the steps of glycolysis by enzyme
competition/incompatibility.
Thanks for you help.
Christina McManus
University of Kentucky