position wanted posting

Ldegiorgio ldegiorgio at aol.com
Fri Apr 12 15:12:07 EST 1996

I' m new to newsgroups and so if this posting is inappropriate, please let
me know.  Should anyone know of other sites, I'd be grateful for the info.
 thanks, Lori DeGiorgio

SEEKING POSITION

I am seeking a research position in the area of neurodegenerative disease,
preferably with an Alzheimer/beta-amyloid unit/company/university.  I have
completed 5 years of postdoctoral training, 4 at Cornell (Burke Medical
Research Institute, Dementia Research Unit) and 1 at Yale (Section of
Neuropathology).  My recent work has described a transplantation model
using cultured AD cells which results in human beta-amyloid deposition in
rat brain.  Depending on the host, the human beta-amyloid either forms
plaque-like aggregates or is preferentially taken up by specific rat brain
cell types (2 submitted mss).  Obviously, I would like to continue this
line of research but am equally interested in using in vitro paradigms to
investigate beta-amyloid toxicity on neural cells.  I have considerable
expertise in initiating and characterizing cell lines derived from autopsy
and biopsy tissue.  IF YOU HAVE READ THIS FAR:  I am smart (who isn't),
intuitive, know instinctively when a finding should be pursued,
appallingly dedicated to my work, a natural-born teacher who loves to
share what I know, a natural-born student who loves to learn and a lot of
fun to have around.  I've got 3 teenagers who keep me balanced (and drive
me crazy).  I firmly believe that the best (perhaps only) reason to do
science is to contribute to the species we call Homo sapiens (the wise is
sometimes in doubt).  Thanks for reading this posting -- Lori DeGiorgio,
Ph.D.  E-mail Ldegiorgio at aol.com

CURRICULUM VITAE

LORRAINE A. DE GIORGIO, Ph.D.
DATE AND PLACE OF BIRTH:
November 14, 1949;  NY, NY

OFFICE ADDRESS:
Cornell University Medical College at
Burke Medical Research Institute
785 Mamaroneck Avenue
White Plains, NY 10605
Tel. No. (914) 948-0050 x2377
Fax No. (914) 946-1722
E-MAIL Ldegiorgio at aol.com
EDUCATION:
B.S. (Bachelor of Science in Biology)
Date of Award: May, 1971
Thomas More College of Fordham University
Bronx, NY
M.S. (Masters of Science in Biology)
Date of Award: February, 1974
Graduate School of Arts & Sciences of Fordham University
Bronx, NY
Ph.D.(Doctor of Philosophy in Cytogenetics)
Date of Award: May, 1978
Graduate School of Arts & Sciences of Fordham University
Bronx, NY
Dissertation:  Cytogenetics of cells cultured from the mosquito Aedes
albopictus

PROFESSIONAL POSITIONS HELD:
1994-1995 Research Affiliate
Section of Neuropathology, Dept. of Surgery, Yale Medical  College, New
Haven, CT
1991-1995 Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Cornell Univ. Medical College, Burke Medical Research Institute, White
Plains, NY
1978-1979 Assistant Professor
Fordham University College of General Studies
Bronx, NY

MEMBERSHIPS:
Society for Neuroscience

AWARDS; FELLOWSHIPS:
1992-1996  Will Rogers Postdoctoral Research Fellowship
1977 W. Alton Jones Cell Science Center Graduate  Research Fellowship
1976 W. Alton Jones Cell Science Center Graduate Research Fellowship
1974-1978 Fordham University Teaching Fellowship
1972-1974 Fordham Univeristy Graduate Assistantship

INSTITUTIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
Teaching:
1972-1978 Taught undergraduate Genetics laboratory course to pre-med
majors at Fordham University.
1978-1979 Taught course in undergraduate Genetics to science majors at
Fordham University School of General Studies

PUBLICATIONS:
1. Mukherjee, A.B. and L.A. DeGiorgio (1981) Insect chromosome isolation:
a method  for metaphase chromosome harvest from cultured cells of the
mosquito Aedes albopictus.  Can. J. Genet. & Cyt. 23: 453-457.
2. Black, R.S., L.A. DeGiorgio, K.-F.R. Sheu, Z. Darzynkiewicz, J.T. Duffy
and J.P.  Blass (1994) Expression of neuronal proteins in cells from
normal adult rat brain  propagated in serial culture.  J. Neurochem. 62:
2132-2140.
3. Blass, J.P., W.R. Markesbery, L.-w. Ko., L.A. DeGiorgio, K.-F.R. Sheu,
and Z.  Darzynkiewicz (1994) Presence of neuronal proteins in serially
cultured cells from autopsy human brain.  J. Neurol. Sci. 121: 132-138
4. DeGiorgio, L.A., K.-F.R. Sheu and J.P. Blass (1994) Culture from human
leptomeninges of cells containing neurofilament protein and
neuron-specific enolase.  J. Neurol Sci. 124:  141-148.
5. Bernstein, J.  J. , S. M. Karp, W. J. Goldberg, L. A. DeGiorgio and J.
P. Blass (1995) Human leptomeningeal derived cells express GFAP and HLA-DR
when grafted into rat spinal cord.  Internatl. J.  Devel. Neurosci., in
press.
6. DeGiorgio, L.A., J.J. Bernstein and J.P. Blass (1996) Implantation of
cultured human leptomeningeal cells into rat brain.  Int. J. Develop.
Neurosci., in press.
7. DeGiorgio, L.A., J.J. Bernstein, L. Manuelidis, and J.P. Blass (1996)
Expression of human amyloid precursor protein and beta-amyloid in rat
brain after cultured leptomeningeal cell implants   Brain Res., submitted.
8. DeGiorgio, L.A., L. Manuelidis, J.J. Bernstein and J.P. Blass (1996).
Human beta-amyloid protein aggregates in athymic host rat brain after AD
cell grafts.  Science, submitted.
9. DeGiorgio, L.A. , L. Manuelidis, J.J. Bernstein and J.P. Blass (1996)
Alzheimer's Disease-like neuropathologic stigmata are present in rat brain
after  human leptomeningeal cell transplants.  in preparation.
10. DeGiorgio, L.A. , J. J. Bernstein, L. Manuelidis and J. P. Blass
(1996)  Effects of human leptomeningeal cell transplants on host rat cell
types.  in preparation.

REVIEWS:
1. Blass, J.P. and L.A. DeGiorgio (1992) Tissue culture and studies of
human brain  disease.  J. Neurol. Sci. 113: 1-3.

ABSTRACTS (1994-1996):
1. L. A. DeGiorgio, , J.J. Bernstein, W.J. Goldberg, S.E. Gandy and J.P.
Blass (1994) Human amyloid precursor protein/x-amyloid immunoreactivity in
rat brain after human leptomeningeal transplants.  Trans. Soc. Neurosci.,
20: 607.
2. J. J. Bernstein, L. A. DeGiorgio and J. P. Blass (1995) Progenitor
cells derived from human leptomeninges express GFAP and HLADR when grafted
into rat spinal cord.  Proc. Fondation Ipsen, Paris.
3. L. A. DeGiorgio, J. J. Bernstein and J. P. Blass (1995) Human amyloid
precursor protein plaque-like aggregates are present in athymic rat brain
after human cell grafts.  Trans. Soc. Neurosci. 21: 476.
4. J. J. Bernstein, S.A. Karp, L. A. DeGiorgio and J.P. Blass (1995) Human
leptomeningeal cells differentiate into astrocyte-like cells in injured
rat spinal cord.  Trans. Soc. Neurosci. 21: 1767.
5. L.A. DeGiorgio, J.J. Bernstein, W.J. Goldberg and J.P. Blass (1996)
Human beta-amyloid protein aggregates are present in athymic host rat
brain after human leptomeningeal cell grafts.  Amer. Soc. Neurochem.
66(1): S100.