Captopril and Emotional Indifference

Claude de Contrecoeur cyrano at beehive.twics.com
Sat Apr 13 09:29:52 EST 1996

Captopril:Induction of Emotionnal Indifference by Captopril
Captopril is an angiotensin converting enzyme(ACE)inhibitor which has been reported to have "anti-depressant" effects.In fact,the alleged anti-depressant effect of captopril and related molecules is a pseudo-anti-depressant effect because captopril is,in fact,a potent thymoanesthesiser! A thymoanesthesiser is a molecule which induces pharmacological blunting of emotions.Thymoanesthesisers induce emotionnal indifference reminiscent of the blunting of affect which is seen in the negative forms of schizophrenia.
There are many thymoanesthesisers wrongly classified as "anti-depressants"! For instance:
I.The serotonin re-uptake blockers such as fluvoxamine,paroxetine,citalopram,etc.
2.Maprotiline.
As psychopharmacologists have only experimented their products on animals and others(!)they have misinterpreted thymoanesthesy as an "anti-depressant" effect because the patients who are emotionnally anesthesised do not complain anymore of being depressed!!! So these people wrongly misinterpret emotionnal indifference as an "anti-depressant" effect.This error is similar to the case of a person who would suffer from painful hemorhoids and who would stop complaining when his doctor would put Xylocaine(an anesthesic)on his hemorhoids! A naive doctor may then proclaim that his patient is "cured" with Xylocaine as he or she does not complain anymore...The situation that we have now with thymoanesthesisers is exactly similar but instead of anesthesing physical pain you anesthesise psychological pain.Anesthesing psychological pain is,clearly, NOT an anti-depressant effect as a true anti-depressant effect should stimulate rewarding emotions and the desire to live,despite adverse conditions.A true anti-depressant should not substract a part of your personality,as thymoanesthesisers do.
When experimenting with captoptil I noticed that this molecule would induce a quite strong indifference to everything,sex included! Captopril can make you impotent because it suppresses the DESIRE to engage in copulation.I would be interested to know what is the real percentage of people taking ACE inhibitors who suffer,afterwards,of impotence?
This impotence can be reversed by yohimbine.
What is interesting with captopril is that it can induce depression if you stop the medication rather abruptly.This is a very interesting observation as normal thymoanesthesisers do not induce depression when they are,abruptly,stopped.
The emotional indifference induced by captopril opens a new avenue of research in the field of negative schizophrenia.

Claude Rifat(Claude de Cyrano!)