Microdialysis (was: Maesurement of Neurotransmitter

Mike Taffe mtaffe at
Fri Apr 12 17:40:16 EST 1996

In article <4kghe3$me3 at newsbf02.news.aol.com>,
StefanHi <stefanhi at aol.com> wrote:
>in rats. The authors used a method that allowed the measurement in the
>living animal ("living brain"). They implanted a syringe with a dialytic
>membrane with a constant flow of ringer. The Substances (i.e.
>Neurotransmitter) passed the Membrane, following the concentration
>difference, into the syringe and could be measured. That's what the text
>said.
>
>My question:
>Can anyone explain me exactly (!) how the method works ? I'm thinking
>about something like "Material and Methods" to work with this method. The
>theory seems to be clear, but what do I need to work with this method and
>how I can maesure the Transmitter ?

the method is called microdialysis. some of the following might be of use though
I have more for monkey than for rat.  nevertheless, this should give you a place
to start.

Ungerstedt,U.(1984). ... In Marsden,CA(ed) Measurement of neurotransmiter release in
vivo, Wiley, NY, pp81-107

Moghaddam, Roth and Bunney (1990). ... J. Neurochem. 54, 1755-1760

Iyer, Nobiletti, Jatlow and Bradberry (1995). ... Psychopharmacology
120, 150-155.

Kolachana, Saunders, Weinberger (1994). ... J. of Neuroscience Methods
55, 1-6.

 I think you will get  a pretty good idea of how to construct probes and
collect dialysate samples from those.  Measurement of the transmitters and/or
metabolites is generally through HPLC or gas chromatograpy-mass spectrometry
as far as I know.

mike
Michael Taffe, Ph.D        *  mtaffe at ucsd.edu
Dept. of Psychiatry, UCSD  *