Teaching neuroscience

Joshua S Rodefer rode0008 at gold.tc.umn.edu
Sat Apr 13 10:48:09 EST 1996

In article <4km8lt$hbo at copland.udel.edu>,
Thomas R. Gregg <greggt at copland.udel.edu> wrote:
>Hi, I am helping teach an undergraduate course in neuroscience.
>Does anyone know of a good, up-to-date 10-20 page handout on histological
>techniques, including staining?  This handout should cover c-fos,
>autoradiography, and IHC as well as older techniques.

	tom,

	while maybe not exactly what you are looking for,
	there is a chapter (#5, Methods of Physio Psych) in
	Neil Carlson's _Physiology of Behavior_ (5th ed, 1994) that
	might be of interest.

	the total chapter is 32 pages; topics include:

	Neuroanatomical and Neurochemical Techniques
		Histo
		Tracing connections
		Localization of Receptors/Neurochemicals
		Measuring metabolic activity
		Microdialysis
		CT/MRI/PET
		Electron microscopy

	Experimental Ablation
		Lesions
		Stereotax

	Electrophysiology
		recording
		stimulation

the neurochem part has some really nice color photos of IHC and I have
found it to be a good general resource for basic/general methodology
of neuroscience.

usual disclaimers apply.
hope this helps
cheers,