HELP : Need definition for the word : Retinotopic

Kalman Rubinson rubinsnk at is2.nyu.edu
Sun Apr 14 18:11:13 EST 1996

Johan L. Botha (jlb at iafrica.com) wrote:
: HELP : Need definition for the word : Retinotopic
: Please if anybody could e-mail me with this information, I would be very
: gratefull. I've searched all over and I cant seem to find the definition.
: Full term : Retinotopic elements

The retinotopic elements represent a topographic map of the retina. Thus,
they constitute a group of structures or an area with connections to the
retina such that adjacent areas of the retina are mapped onto to adjacent
areas of the structure.  As such, it is analogous to somatotopic
mapping in other motor and sensory systems.

Kal