Need help: patch clamp with marin Hydropolyp

Thiemo Sieger sieger at uni-muenster.de
Tue Apr 16 06:36:12 EST 1996

It is now for months, that I've tried to get seals with the Cnidocytes of
Cladonema, a marin Hydropolyp.
I've tested many different bath-solutions (mainly reduction of Cl-),
pipette-diameters (down to 500nm). The idea was to establish
seal-formation by the "blow-and-seal-technique" (to blow away the rests
of the epithelial muscle cell).
But it was impossible to get a seal (except one time). The
seal-resistance is only going up to 10-20MOhm (from 1-2), which of course
is no seal...

My last idea is to change the glass-sort (until now I've used
Soda-glass).

If anyone here in this group has any ideas for my problems with that
"nice animal" (grrrr!), please let me know!!!
(e-mail adresses of successful "patch-clampers" are also helpful!
Especially if they work with marin animals.)

Thanks, in advance

T. Sieger

P.S.: if I talk to the "wrong" newsgroup here, tell me to which one I
have to post then.