Microdialysis (was: Maesurement of Neurotransmitter

Russell A. Gazzara rgazzara at nctr.fda.gov
Tue Apr 16 12:20:01 EST 1996

mtaffe@ (Mike Taffe) wrote:

> I think you will get  a pretty good idea of how to construct probes and
>collect dialysate samples from those.  Measurement of the transmitters and/or
>metabolites is generally through HPLC or gas chromatograpy-mass spectrometry
>as far as I know.

I wouldn't recommend constructing your own probes as this is difficult
and time consuming at best.  You are much better off purchasing probes
from commercial sources.  This is much more expensive, but you save
time (and grief).  If you are careful and store the probes properly,
you can reuse them 5 times or more.  I've reused CMA probes for up to
25 times.

As for measurement, it depends on what you are interested in.  The
monoamines (dopamine, norepinephrine and serotonin) and their
metabolites can be quantified best by HPLC with electrochemical
detection (HPLC-EC).  Acetylcholine can also be quantified by HPLC-EC,
but the limit of detection is lower with GC-MS.  The amino acids are
usually quantified by HPLC.  Other compounds are quantified by a
variety of analytical tools, such as HPLC with UV detection, etc.

Cheers,

Russ Gazzara
rgazzara at nctr.fda.gov