Q: Japanese Company Interest in Neuronal Cell Culture

Danny Banks D.Banks at surrey.ac.uk
Wed Apr 17 13:09:00 EST 1996

I've recently been picking up papers regarding work done in Japan on (or
related to) neuronal cell cultures on microelectrode arrays.

What intrigues me is that a fair chunk of this work appears to be being
performed at industrial research labs. Notably NTT Basic Research Lab's, and
I recently got hold of a paper with two co-authors from SONY Corp.

So I guess the question is: what's in it for the companies ?

I'm aware that other companies are funding research in the area, but the
research is usually being carried out at a University base, by academic
researchers.

Anyone care to specualte what NTT can see in the technology, in particular,
that encourages them to carry out work in their own labs. (Or maybe NTT
does this anyway with lots of research ?)

???

Thanks.

Danny. :)

--