Q: Japanese Company Interest in Neuronal Cell Culture

Ron Blue rcb1 at LEX.LCCC.EDU
Wed Apr 17 16:47:45 EST 1996

On Wed, 17 Apr 1996, Danny Banks wrote:
> I've recently been picking up papers regarding work done in Japan on (or
> related to) neuronal cell cultures on microelectrode arrays.
> What intrigues me is that a fair chunk of this work appears to be being
> performed at industrial research labs. Notably NTT Basic Research Lab's, and
> I recently got hold of a paper with two co-authors from SONY Corp.
> So I guess the question is: what's in it for the companies ?

Imagine a computer chip half silcon and half human nerve cells.  This has
aready been successfully done.  Imagine vision restored with the
marriage between computer chips and human nervious system, etc.

IMAGINE A COMPUTER THAT THINKS AND LEARNS LIKE A HUMAN THAT LIVES
FOREVER.

How much would these be worth in the market place??
Trillions??
Ron Blue
rcb1 at lex.lccc.edu