electromagnetic/brain waves

Zamanlf zamanlf at aol.com
Wed Apr 17 04:05:34 EST 1996

Gord,

	The following is another title and summary for my paper, given in
terms that I truly hope are less controversial and easier to understand:

New Title: An intracortical correlation of the MEG field and multiunit
axon spike activity

New Summary: The intracortical MEG field may be a correlate of the cortex
“multiunit (axonal) spike activity” (MSA). The MEG field circulating
intracortically around a localized region of activation is first modeled.
Related neurophysiological evidence from the research of M. Verzeano then
shows that an associated MSA--“flowing” along short-range axonal
projections--is directly correlated with the model MEG field intensity,
and follows the MEG field lines encircling the activation region. A
quasi-static “electromagnetic model” of this correlation treats the MSA as
an equivalent “magnetic current” (which suggests a new term in Faraday’s
law for magnetic current may become useful in bioelectromagnetics).
Finally, a mode of psychological explanation derived from this physical
model treats the intracortical MEG as a multineuronal order parameter for
cortical axo-synaptic transmission. It is concluded that the
spatiotemporal correlations between amplitudes and derivatives established
(via indirect neurophysiological cause-and-effect relationships) between
the EEG field, MEG field and MSA (representing a magnetic current analog),
modeled using electromagnetic theory, may provide a theoretical
perspective that can encompass both physical and psychological aspects of
nervous system dynamics.

	Is this more in line with the type of exposition concerning this
subject that will be more openly received by neuroscientists? The basic
subject matter of the paper I am preparing has not been changed by this
alteration in viewpoint, including even the previously indicated
discussion of Faraday’s law and the “psychobiomagnetic dynamo.” Only the
mode of discourse is different.

Sincerely, Fred Zaman