help with cryostat cutting

Ioana Sonea ioana at cvm01.vm.iastate.edu
Fri Apr 19 17:45:37 EST 1996

brians at interlog.com (Brian Scott) wrote:

>I'm having difficulty cutting fixed and dissected rat hippocampus tissue
>with a cryostat.  The slices come out with closely spaced cuts and
>tears parallel to the blade and are too damaged to be useful.  I've tried:

Brian: hope that your fixative was all it was (I read your later posting
where pf/picric fixed brains worked fine), but if not, it could be the
cryostat itself needs fixing...Ours was doing the same thing (on tissue
which had always been fine, with several different operators), and ended
up needing over $1000 worth of repairs.. In despair, call out the repair
people..
Good luck!
Ioana Sonea