Entrainment of brainwaves

G K GRAY gord at homostudy.win-uk.net
Mon Apr 22 01:55:22 EST 1996

In article <BILL.96Apr20090819 at ca2.nsma.arizona.edu>, Bill Skaggs (bill at nsma.arizona.edu) writes:
>Emery Carr <ecarr at infohwy.com> writes (not to me):
>
>   > Maybe you don't yet fully understand the implications involved in
>   > being able to entrain brainwaves.
>   >
>   > It means that we have a way to allow people to be able to learn
>   > to enter certain states of conciousness at will.
>   >
>   > For example, 4hz corresponds to the threshold between Delta and
>   > Theta rhythms in the brain. Using the binaural beat phenomena
>   > allows us to have a way to shift somebody from waking
>   > conciousness (beta) into deep sleep (Delta) or anywhere else.
>
>This is an error in logic.  Given that (deep sleep implies Delta in
>EEG), it is not valid to infer that (Delta in EEG implies deep sleep).
>In fact the first is true and the second is false, at least in a
>causal sense.
>
>       -- Bill
>Reply to; gord at homostudy.win-uk.net

In these matters caution must be the byword. The vast numbers of
feedback loops in the nervous system should put us on our guard
against snap judgements on causality,- A is always cause and B is
always effect. This is especially needed when there are complex
associations such as among the Visual Areas. Let's put a "?"
beside Bill's remark, which means there is unfinished business.

        Gord