Any work in determining number of synapses to a target?

Kevin Spencer kspencer at s.psych.uiuc.edu
Sun Apr 21 17:01:23 EST 1996

brannon at sapo.usc.edu (Terrence M. Brannon) writes:

>I have to develop a research proposal for the developmental biology
>part of my course. As a computer modeller, I have been irritated by
>the assumptions that modellers make regarding the number of
>connections that a presynaptic neuron makes on post-synaptics
>neurons. Does anyone have any literature references on methods of
>determining the exact number of neurons that are synapsing on a
>postsynaptic site.

A book I'm currently reading that deals with this and many related issues
is "Corticonics", by M. Abeles.  He provides an extensive review of
the techniques used to measure connectivity.  The book itself concerns
simulating the dynamics of the cortex.  I'm halfway through it, so up to
this point I would highly recommend it. :)

Kevin

P.S.: the book was published in 1990 or 1991, so there may be better
techniques now than the ones reviewed.

Kevin Spencer
Cognitive Psychophysiology Laboratory and Beckman Institute
kspencer at p300.cpl.uiuc.edu / kspencer at psych.uiuc.edu