A Neural Theory of Mind

Marty Stoneman marty at indirect.com
Tue Apr 23 16:40:27 EST 1996

Paul Bush (paul at phy.ucsf.edu) wrote:
: I have extensively revised my theory of brain operation.

	[essay SNIPPED]

I have replied to your previous essay.  Briefly, the new one appears to
be getting more abstract and uses more abstract notions -- but certainly
interesting.

Two questions hack at me: how do you distinguish, if at all, between
learning of mammalian kinds resulting in new "memory" -- and episodic
"memory" of humans for specific chains of events? and, since (I believe)
other mammals have the same kinds of brain tissue and parts that we
humans have, what gives us abstract stuff like "ideas", "thoughts", "deep
conceptual learning", etc.?

Thanks again for your posts.

Cheers,

Marty Stoneman