Entrainment of brainwaves

Dennis McClain-Furmanski dmcclain at runet.edu
Wed Apr 24 03:41:35 EST 1996

Kevin Spencer (kspencer at s.psych.uiuc.edu) wrote:
: Emery Carr <ecarr at infohwy.com> writes:
:
: >I don't know if this is the right newsgroup... so steer me in the right
: >direction if you can...
:
: >I'm searching for information about how to use binaural beats to entrain
: >brainwave frequencies.
:
: Check out the literature on "steady-state evoked responses".  I think
: that's what you're looking for.

The Monroe Institute exists for this stuff. Big write up in Omni some
time back. Of course they sell tapes that do everything from make you
smarter to stop smoking to get rid of athlete's foot based on it.

We're using both visual and auditory beat patterns here. Some amazing
results when we map out the point of highest squared voltage.

:
: >The only info. I have found so far is that 200hz and 210hz will cause a
: >frequency following response of 4hz in the brain.
:
: Hmm, never heard of that one before.

We used 210 BPM, not 210 Hz, and got that entrained beta.
Then again, one of our subjects meditates and gets the same thing.