Hippocampus.

Jtho jtho at u.washington.edu
Thu Apr 25 13:33:17 EST 1996

I don't think the answer is known yet.  One could speculate on many reasons.
Perhaps the neurons are more sensitive to energy deprivation because of the
numbers and types of channels.  Perhaps because of the Schaffer's collaterals,
the increased innervation tends to increase the excitotoxicity of a hypoxic
insult.  I believe that the majority of apoptosis associated with
hypoxia/anoxia also occurs within the CA1 subfield.  Who know?

Maybe someone does know and I'm just in the dark.

- Joe

Joseph Cheer (j-cheer at argos.uniandes.edu.co) wrote:

: Dear group members:

: I would like to know if somebody knows why the CA1 sub-field is selectively
: vulnerable to hypoxia.

: Thank you in advance for your replies