CJD CRISIS ? Discuss

Anne E Mjaatvedt mjaatvae at musc.edu
Mon Apr 29 09:53:31 EST 1996

  One question that I have had about this new CJD that scientists in the
UK may have more information on is:  What is the scientific basis for
connecting the new CJD strain with BSE?  Is it because of the pathology,
age of onset, and other similarities, or are there other scientific
links.  This new CJD is certainly frightening, but putting all resources
to following up what might turn out to be the wrong mode or vector of
transmission would only make things worse at this critical early stage of
trying to deal with a new CJD strain.
  I appreciate any more information with regard to this aspect.

Anne Mjaatvedt
Medical University of South Carolina