CJD CRISIS ? Discuss

A.Doherty doherty at bsa.bristol.ac.uk
Tue Apr 30 02:31:00 EST 1996

I would also like to know the scientific basis for the presumption that
the new strain of CJD IS linked to BSE. As far as I am aware, what has
been said is that there is no obvious reason for such a strain to arise,
and so in the absence of any evidence a link between this new CJD and BSE
must be considered. It was found very recently that one apparently
crucial domain of the prion protein in BSE infected brain tissue was very
similar to that of the human prion(s). But is this evidence for a link?
If someone out there can enlighten me, I'd be grateful

Andrew Doherty
Dept Anatomy
University of Bristol
UK