Cochlear hair cells vs. vestibular hair cells

Tom Boismier boismier at umich.edu
Wed Aug 7 06:51:57 EST 1996

In article <Pine.SOL.3.91.960806155758.17476A-100000 at rigel.oac.uci.edu>,
nprakash at rigel.oac.uci.edu says...

>Why is that loud sounds cause cochlear hair cells to degenerate, whereas
>violent motions (rollercoasters, star tours, etc.) don't cause equivalent
>vestibular damage?

Who says they don't? It's well known that vestibular function decreases with
age, and that the otoliths degenerate with age and injury. If your looking for
a close temporal relationship like explosion->hearing loss, we may not see
that with acceloration if the kind of accelorations needed to kill vestibular
hair cells are high enough to kill you... I'm not aware of any research in
that specific topic, thoigh there is lots of work going on in hair cell
regeneration.